NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19 2018, 16:12 by Postie92

» New rider with a business
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2018, 20:39 by RossT

» New member from Beecroft
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25 2018, 14:57 by gdayjr

» New (old) Member Re-Joining
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 19:52 by jalalski

» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil

Go down 
+33
zoidberg
justin_es
Ronin8
gdayjr
Pete
StuartXTZ
BOB88R
fudomyoo
Medic!akarandall
mickrehbach
chappo7
12gauge
jd
Howie
deets
TReynolds
Mick On R1
cookie boy
gixer04
Faith13
MoNo_MaN
b1b2
Swinnie
MENACE
Adam
RossT
haggis
coda
CybaGirl™
nitronaf
Kris
JJW
Ed
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed
Admin
Ed

Number of posts : 6600
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 29 2010, 19:08

First topic message reminder :

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Image002
RossT, a member of NSWR, is associated with Gulf Western Oil at St Marys. Gulf Western Oil have created a group account for NSW Riders members only. Members may purchase a range of quality motorcycle oils at prices less that we can otherwise get from general retailers. More importantly, the oils are deemed better than what is generally available.

N.B. Gulf Western Oil has moved from Penrith to St Marys. New address is shown below.

Ross previously gave a presentation to a group of NSWR members. The pictures taken appear below.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Fasteddie57/Saturday29thMay2010GulfWesternOilVisit#

If you would like to purchase oils, please contact Ross/Gulf Western at the following. Mention that you are from NSW Riders. Delivery can be arranged where sufficient quantities are purchased. Delivery costs apply.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au

New Address:

92 Links Road, St Marys.
Phone 02 9673 9600

sales@gulfwestern.com.au

Last edited by Ed on Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:36; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 13:23

Thanks Ross,

The oil lube desk on the website gave me the following choices:

TRIUMPH
Sprint ST/ RS (1998-2005)

Engine
SYN - X 3000 10w40
Service Refill Capacity: 4.0* Litres (see note 84)

Transmission
(see note 1)

Front Forks
Refer to Dealer

NOTES
* Includes Oil Filter

1 Combined with crankcase.

84 May also use PREMIUM GOLD 15w40.

Is the Protecta Ultra you mentioned above a higher grade oil (more expensive)?

I just checked the owners manual for the Trumpy and it specifically mentions to use Fully Synthetic oils, but maybe this advice is for the overseas market only?
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-08-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 13:25

Phone me on 0427 323 305
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 13:59

Thanks for your help Ross. All done and ordered and the 20L drum is getting delivered this Thursday Wink
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:04

You won't be disapointed Jalal. I've used GW oil for years. Bike is serviced each 10k, and I do my own oil and filter change every 5k.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:11

Thanks Ed, I am coming up for the 5K oil (and filter) change and would like to start doing this myself for the Trumpy.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:16

I am using K & N filters by the way. They seem good and easy to install/remove given it has a nut welded to the filter. I use the K & N 147 filter, check what suits your bike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:23

Yep, I have already ordered the K&N Oil and Air Filters. Mine is KN204 for the oil filter. Do you know if they come with a new crush washer for the oil sump?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:25

I now use that oil for both cars, the bike, the dogs and the cat Cool
Oh hang on.......I dont have a cat Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:30

Well, now that you have excess of that oil, buy one LOL Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 14:41

Rasputin wrote:
Yep, I have already ordered the K&N Oil and Air Filters. Mine is KN204 for the oil filter. Do you know if they come with a new crush washer for the oil sump?

No, you need to buy some washers. As an aside, I use magnetic drain plugs. The theory is any metal filings will attach itself to the drain plug. It does work. If you buy them, buy two and use alternatively between oil changes. Clean before reusing. If you get these, order a supply of washers at the same time.

http://goldplug.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 17:47

Good stuff Ed, might have to do this next oil change, as I can't wait for the plug to arrive from overseas. Let me see if I can find it on Evilbay locally Wink
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 20:52

Charlie,

We have an oil specifically formulated for Australian dogs. Called Kelpie K9 10W60 full synthetic. I always fed it to my working kelpies until they died. The vet said it might have had something to do with the consistent diarrhoea but gee they were fast. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18 2015, 05:21

lol! lol! lol!

And I thought my dogs were just special albino

My Mum says Im special rabbit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18 2015, 14:01

Ross, what would be GW's equivalent to Penrite HPR Diesel 15w50??
Thanks
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18 2015, 18:46

What are you putting it in Kurt?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18 2015, 19:09

Ross, im running it in my Suzuki Inazuma 250. As per your advice, i changed the oil in it to SynX3000 the day I bought it.
Although there was a good improvement to shifting, the gears still felt a little notchy.
After running diesel oil in a mates pit bike with great results i changed the oil to Hpr diesel my mate gave me with good results.
(The bottle says its suitable for bikes with a wet clutch)
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19 2015, 07:30

The difference is in the viscosity not the fact that it is diesel.

Use Protecta Ultra 15/50
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19 2015, 09:12

Oh i thought there was a difference. Thanks Ross, I'll pop into the factory to get some Protecta Ultra for the bikes next service.
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19 2015, 09:47

aussiedude wrote:
Oh i thought there was a difference. Thanks Ross, I'll pop into the factory to get some Protecta Ultra for the bikes next service.

Kurt, do yourself a favour and check the other products available while you are there.

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 DSC_5408
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19 2015, 14:58

Received my 20L drum just now. Excellent service and got it delivered in the specified day (by me).

Now just waiting to get the oil filter and away we go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20 2015, 14:53

Just finished doing an oil change on the Triumph. What a nightmare that was Smile

Whoever fitted the previous oil filter should be shot. I had to hammer the bloody thing out.

Needless to say that I will only be using K&N oil filters in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20 2015, 14:58

I'll be doing the Beemah after tomorrow's ride.
Yes I hate it too. It was much easier on the America, mainly because I could get it up on the lift. No such luck with the Beemah. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jd

jd

Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2009-02-06
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20 2015, 15:32

Rasputin wrote:
Just finished doing an oil change on the Triumph. What a nightmare that was Smile

Whoever fitted the previous oil filter should be shot. I had to hammer the bloody thing out.

Needless to say that I will only be using K&N oil filters in the future.

I hear your pain dude. I always wonder if the last guy (if it wasn't me) remembered to put a smattering of oil on the seal before over tightening it. I know of a trick but it can make things worse - hammer a large screwdriver through the side of the filter about halfway along. You've now got two big grip points to turn the bugger. Of course, if the filter breaks in two, you now have half a filter stuck on the motor. I've never had to go to this extreme & hopefully there's better ideas out there leaving this as a last resort.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20 2015, 15:44

That's what I sort of ended-up doing JD, flat-head screw driver went straight through the side of the filter and I just kept hammering it through the same hole and hoping for the best. Yes, I reckon he didn't put any oil on the filter seal before tightening it in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21 2015, 00:26

Was using Protecta Ultra in my '13 Suzuki Inazuma as recommended by Ross (shifted smoother ran quieter).
However, last service I thought I'd experiment and use GW Top Dog XDO (I previously used Shell Rimula in a '75Honda C90).
I can honestly say the bike performs even better on TOP DOG XDO. The shifting is so smooth that sometimes i have to check the gear indicator. There have been no clutch probs & in approx 2000ks of riding I havent had to top up the oil at all.
When the next service is due, i plan on getting a UOA & VOA to see how the oil held up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next