NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19 2018, 16:12 by Postie92

» New rider with a business
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2018, 20:39 by RossT

» New member from Beecroft
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25 2018, 14:57 by gdayjr

» New (old) Member Re-Joining
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 19:52 by jalalski

» New to Sydney, no bike yet
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil

Go down 
+33
zoidberg
justin_es
Ronin8
gdayjr
Pete
StuartXTZ
BOB88R
fudomyoo
Medic!akarandall
mickrehbach
chappo7
12gauge
jd
Howie
deets
TReynolds
Mick On R1
cookie boy
gixer04
Faith13
MoNo_MaN
b1b2
Swinnie
MENACE
Adam
RossT
haggis
coda
CybaGirl™
nitronaf
Kris
JJW
Ed
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed
Admin
Ed

Number of posts : 6600
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 29 2010, 19:08

First topic message reminder :

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Image002
RossT, a member of NSWR, is associated with Gulf Western Oil at St Marys. Gulf Western Oil have created a group account for NSW Riders members only. Members may purchase a range of quality motorcycle oils at prices less that we can otherwise get from general retailers. More importantly, the oils are deemed better than what is generally available.

N.B. Gulf Western Oil has moved from Penrith to St Marys. New address is shown below.

Ross previously gave a presentation to a group of NSWR members. The pictures taken appear below.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Fasteddie57/Saturday29thMay2010GulfWesternOilVisit#

If you would like to purchase oils, please contact Ross/Gulf Western at the following. Mention that you are from NSW Riders. Delivery can be arranged where sufficient quantities are purchased. Delivery costs apply.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au

New Address:

92 Links Road, St Marys.
Phone 02 9673 9600

sales@gulfwestern.com.au

Last edited by Ed on Tue Feb 04 2014, 21:36; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
TReynolds

TReynolds

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2010-02-17
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 10 2011, 06:11

My butt! Remember you had your chance to sign us up before we were big Ross! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/troy.t.reynolds
RossT

RossT

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-08-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 10 2011, 07:32

Troy,

that could well become another one of my great regrets. Valentino often reminds me of the same thing Razz
Back to top Go down
b1b2

b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 10 2011, 10:22

TReynolds wrote:
My butt! Remember you had your chance to sign us up before we were big Ross! Smile

maybe if you replace that big "R" logo on your fairing to "GW" Ross might give put aside .99% of his budget tongue
Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Index_gwo_1
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it
MoNo_MaN

MoNo_MaN

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 10 2011, 10:37

Based on how much a V8 supercar costs to run, .99% is probably a lot Razz

I think we have gone off topic. . . . enough of these shinnanigans.
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 10 2011, 11:00

Now Troy if you looked like my promo girl, Catherine, there may be further options available.
Back to top Go down
MENACE

MENACE

Number of posts : 1164
Registration date : 2009-12-07
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 17 2011, 22:58

Just installed a fresh belly full of Premium Energy onto the new beast.

Here comes the next 5000km keeping it under 10,000RPM Sad
The Synex 3000 is ready to go in after that. Then, it's in with the liquid gold - Protectra Ultra!!!

I ordered them yesterday morning and got a call from the courier this morning telling me it'd be there in 15min. Sure enough, he was and so was my order. Awesome service.

It's a pity Honda can't make removal of their fairings as easy to deal with. I think stabbing myself in the eyeball - repeatedly, would be less painful.

PS: Ross, be a good bloke and PM me lovely Catherine's phone number... please Laughing
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 18 2011, 08:57

If you would like to PM me with your direct e mail adress I'll send you some motivational photos Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kris

Kris

Number of posts : 2542
Registration date : 2008-08-19
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 18 2011, 20:09

RossT wrote:
If you would like to PM me with your direct e mail adress I'll send you some motivational photos Very Happy

Now do I need to line up to get photos too.... tongue how about buy oil with extra photos.... cheers
Back to top Go down
deets

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-11-10
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20 2012, 14:47

just got some sin x 3000 for my suzuki GS500F. Great price.
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 10:31

Thanks for your business deets.

It's not hard to keep the prices down when you don't have to send half your money to an oversease parent company ...
Back to top Go down
Howie

Howie

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-30
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 00:35

Hi RossT
Just read your comment to Adam re clutch slip. My 2006/7 BMW K1200GT has was sounds like clutch slip on take off. I have read on various forums similar problems of the same nature with K1200's that had only a few 100kms. So now I'm wondering if it is the clutch or the oil or a model problem. Any ideas?

Also what type of Gulf Western oil would suit my bike and how often do you change the oil?

I bought it about 7 months ago with 49k on the clock, it now has 56k I was told by the dealer that it had been serviced but who can tell.

Can we still buy from you?

Howie
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 09:11

Howie,

It is always a good idea to service a second hand bike as soon as you buy it. That way you know exactly where it is up to.

I recommend changing the oil every 5000 km or 6 months - whichever occurs first.

The recommended Gulf Western product for your BMW would be Protecta Ultra semi synthetic 15w50

It is unlikely that the oil is causing the clutch slip. Do you know what sort of oil is in it?

At 56K there could be a wear factor coming into play or it might just need ajustment.

Either way it needs to go in for a service.
Back to top Go down
jd

jd

Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2009-02-06
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 11:28

RossT wrote:
Howie,

It is always a good idea to service a second hand bike as soon as you buy it. That way you know exactly where it is up to.

Ross has it the nail on the head. Just a couple weeks ago I got the ZX7R, and a week later got my mechanic to change oil / oil filter / brake fluids / coolant and headlight fluid. Cleaned air filter, washed / reoiled and adjusted chain, cleaned and lubed all pivots, inspect bearings, brakes and wheel alignment.

I think of this as a 'reset and discovery'. And he discovered the head bearings will need replacing within 6 months, so i'll sort that out in time.

But if you've had the bikes 7 months, you've probably had cause to look at some of this work anyway.

(I was kidding about the headlight fluid).

Also, I had some clutch drag with the Hyosung the first time I used GW Oil. But after speaking with Ross and getting some advice, and changing to a different GW Oil product, the drag went away.

JD
Back to top Go down
Howie

Howie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 21:19

Hi guys
Thanks for taking the time to reply

Ross, I have no idea what oil is in it now, but I will soon as I'll be down to buy some from you. As far as adjusting the clutch it is hydraulic and I'm not sure that there is an adjustment, certainly nothing that I can see from the outside anyway.

JD, you had me worried for a second about the headlight fluid. I have gone over my bike and it seems in really good Nik but I take your point.

I recently purchased an electronic workshop manual from eBay in preparation for the upcoming clutch replacement work however it was faulty and the files wouldn't download so got my money back, fortunately. I'm now looking for another manual, my cousin in northern NSW Purchased a CD version from a dealer for $150 so I am considering going down that track - I'm hoping the savings on labour will pay for it.

On another thread a mechanic by the name of Lloyd was mentioned - not sure were he is but I live in the mountains so if I can find a mechanic close by who is good and honest I would certainly get a quote to see which way to go.

Cheers
Howie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 23:29

Howie, if you don't mind travelling from Linden into Penrith, there is a bloody good M/C mechanic on Coreen Ave that you should go to (Mick Dyer Motorcycles), just down the road from Gulf Western. I used to take my BMW R100RT there for whatever it needed, before it was written off :-(.
Mick is a great guy & a BMW nut and actually cares, he'll sort out your probs quickly.

On another note I also used to run GW Protecta Ultra in the old BEEMER & it loved the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Howie

Howie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 04 2012, 22:52

Thanks for the heads up Kurt I will certainly look him up.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
12gauge

12gauge

Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2009-03-18
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05 2012, 06:52

http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=324

I found this one works (Not sure the difference with LT & GT though??) I'd imagine the engine is similar. Single plate dry clutch eh. Maybe Ducati can use some advice from them. Laughing

I found it here> http://www.carlsalter.com/bmw-service-manuals.asp

Might be useful.
Back to top Go down
chappo7

chappo7

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-08-27
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 05 2012, 09:30

Thanks Andrew for posting this just downloaded the manual for my duc all 247 pages.I'm off to buy some ink cartridges now.Thanks again mate.Cheers Neil.
Back to top Go down
Howie

Howie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 06 2012, 22:54

Thanks from me too Andrew. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Howie
Back to top Go down
deets

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-11-10
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 11:35

Hi Ross what would you recomend for my HD fld switchback. have had first sevice done by dealer 1500k's now on 3500K's and can i use on all three, engine, transmission and primary chain case. Was very happy with sin x 3000 in my Suzuki GS 500f.
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 17:14

Protecta Ultra would be my preference for your engine as the FLD has a bit more clearance and bottom end pressure than the GS500.

Unfortunately Harley list thier trans and chain case as "refer to dealer" meaning that I can't make a warranted recommendation.

Phone me on 0427 323 305 if you need more info.
Back to top Go down
mickrehbach

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-23
Male

PostSubject: Do we still get discount from Gulf Western Oil at Penrith   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06 2013, 17:13

Do we still get discount from Gulf Western Oil at Penrith?
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Number of posts : 6600
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06 2013, 17:16

mickrehbach wrote:
Do we still get discount from  Gulf Western Oil at Penrith?
Yes of course. Mention you are a NSW Rider member. Cash or card payment only. Contact / address details are shown in the initial post.
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06 2013, 18:04

We are moving to the new blend plant in Links Rd St Marys during the last week in October and first week in November.

Official opening with the media and politicians on Friday 25 October.

Until then we can supply you at 1 Coombes Dve, Penrith

Call me on 0427 323 305 if you need further information.
Back to top Go down
Medic!akarandall

Medic!akarandall

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-11-08
Male

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19 2013, 00:36

RossT wrote:
Chris,

as soon as you start the engine after a service, you put bi products of combustion, unburnt fuel and acids into the sump.

If you leave the bike sitting around,  with even partly used oil in it, you run the risk that you will start to etch bearing and journal surfaces.

You are best off to change the oil after a track day, drain it hot, then refill with fresh oil and leave it sitting with fresh oil.

If you left it without oil, for an extended time, you could get some corrosion starting. We use a polarised molecule additive to maintain an oil film for extended periods but it does not work for more than a couple of months.

If the bike has been sitting for more than say two months then its an idea to pull the plug leads off and turn it over for 30 seconds before starting it in order to ensure that the oil has circulated fully.

The perfect example of this would be my old CBR. After buying a second hand engine from a wreckers with only 14000 kms on it with the oil still in the sump from the previous owner. I did the right thing and changed it before fitting to the bike and did several very low km changes to flush out any remains.

I never opened the engine prior to starting it. It ran great for quite a few K's even dynoed with NSWriders dyno day putting out 119hp at the rear wheel and doing 10.98 secs at the drags. Not bad for an 893cc engine of its time.

It developed a rattle (timing chain) and also gave a puff of smoke on back off from high revs(noticed on a vid of me at the track) So pulled it down to do the chain and took the head off to replace valve stem seals(which I assumed was the cause of the smoke).

At first all looked VERY good backing up the claimed 14000km the wreckers had marked on it.
Cams looked great and the valves all good. At first glance into the cylinders I was like a kid on xmas day. Nice cross hatch machining marks from the honing during manufacture.

THEN the horror as I looked further down the bores and noticed quite severe pitting. It was all on the front sides of all 4 cylinders. This was caused by the engine being stored laying forward with the exhaust ports facing down. The acids Ross mentions had eaten the cylinders away below the positions the pistons were stopped at.

I did consider putting it back together with the new timing chain and valve stem seals and using it as a trade in. My conscience wouldn't allow me to go that way as I didn't know the state of the bearings due to the acids (still don't) and the thought of someone come to grief with a seizure gave me no joy even though my dilema would have been solved.. So it sits in the shed waiting for some TLC.

I have SUZI to play with now so it will have to wait some more.

Back to top Go down
http://my.break.com/Member/Profile/mypage.aspx?MemberNickName=Mi
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil   Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next