NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Welcome to the NSW Riders Forum. Please enter your member details to Login. If this is your first time to the site, you need to register to gain access. Registration is free. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please read and adhere to the Forum Rules, Disclaimer, Guidelines and Conditions. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Disclaimer All riders are responsible for their Own Actions and Conduct, Ride to Survive

NSW Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW Riders

Created by riders for riders, to discuss and organise rides, social gatherings & events

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  B O M Weather MapB O M Weather Map  NSW Meeting Places NSW Meeting Places  
Similar topics
Latest topics
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19 2018, 16:12 by Postie92

» New rider with a business
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2018, 20:39 by RossT

» New member from Beecroft
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25 2018, 14:57 by gdayjr

» New (old) Member Re-Joining
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 19:52 by jalalski

» New to Sydney, no bike yet
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 10:31 by kurviger

» New young rider in Sydney
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Aug 07 2017, 00:56 by Tomosapien

» Purchasing Oil from Gulf Western Oil
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26 2017, 19:37 by BOB88R

» New to Bikes
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeThu Jun 22 2017, 16:17 by chuckchunder

» New member from The Illawarra
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17 2017, 11:09 by Pete

» Return to the fold
New member and New rider Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31 2017, 07:42 by Ed

New member and New rider

Go down 
+5
RossT
Snake64
jd
Ed
d.jaime.v
9 posters
AuthorMessage
d.jaime.v

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-07
Male

New member and New rider Empty
PostSubject: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07 2013, 21:19

Hey all!
I'm new to this forum and the rider world. Just went and got my licence on Wednesday after doing the rider test Monday and tuesday.
First time on a bike (honda cb125e) Monday and did not look back. So I went out on thursday and bought a brand new 2013 Honda CBR250R Mugen, and my car is now for sale lol
From being a car fanatic to now loving the 2wheels,
It's amazing on how different it is out there on the road!
Every rider I've passed on a supersport the last few days have all nodded or showed appreciation that I was also out there on a bike. It's like a family I never new I had. I never recieved that from the car industry. I was so used to ransoms giving me shit about my car, or trying to race, an stating their cars better.
The bike industry is so much different, in just the last couple of days, I've noticed it's more love of the fact of a bike then it is about some guys turbo or mods.
Random rider give you respect and compliment you on your bike. It's actually such a better feeling!
I apologise for my rant, just wanted to say thanks to those random riders LOL

also, are there many ride days, meets, charity events or anything in the sydney area ?? If so, I'd love to be a part of it!

Also, since being a brand new bike, with 0kms, I've done just under 500 kms already, is that alot ?
I'm also going to get some lube tomorrow for the chain, any recommendations?? Only as I'm new to this and need to learn somehow. I know it's going to be tuff as Honda never added a centre stand or even made it possible to add an additional one to my bike, would it still be okay if I just roll the bike back a few inches whilst I apply??
Any info would be great, apart from that, how often should I Lube the chain? Any other regular maintenance I should do also?
Anyway, thanks for all your time and apologise for my rant lol
But thanks!!

I don't know if this'll work, but here's a pic of my new baby
New member and New rider 2u8hqn7
Back to top Go down
Ed
Admin
Ed

Number of posts : 6600
Registration date : 2008-08-04
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 07:26

A good story Daniel, and welcome to the site. A perfect day ride for you would be this Sunday. We start off at Berowra Waters with a BBQ and then head to Toukley for lunch. I'll be at the tail end. Check the ride thread in group rides for details. Any questions, just ask.

There are a lot of rides including charity rides in Sydney. You will hear about them at this site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 08:06

Hi Daniel and welcome.
Yes, we found the same in the world of bikes.
As my son would say, we are a part of one of societys sub-cultures, and bloody top one at that.
As for bikes, theres no such thing as a bad bike. In my opinion theyre all good for all differant reasons. The only thing is, its hard to find one suitable for everything.
Here is the chain lube I use (LINK)
It sticks to the chain well and doesnt make such a mess on the rims. I generally apply it every second time I wash the bike, or every 4 or so rides, depending on the number of kms of course.
Back to top Go down
jd

jd

Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2009-02-06
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 08:49

Hi Daniel,

It's great to hear you experience - riding really is a religion.

Not to inundate you, but for the new enthusiast, there is a lot to learn. But don't be daunted - learning about riding, roads and your bike is the most fun. You'll find many regulars on NSW Riders will be happy to answer questions. A lot of learning is done by experience, too, so don't be in a rush.

Re your chain, I used to ask the missus to hold my ol' Honda Hornet (CB600) on a tilt on the stand, lifting the rear wheel off the ground for me to lube. It's not hard, but you do need two people. When I got the ZX7R, it was too heavy for her hold, so I bought a roller from the web (http://www.pashnit.com/product/wheeljockey.html). My CBR1100XX has a centre stand, so I no longer need the roller.
Your Honda should be light enough to hold on a lean on its side stand. My mechanic says I should oil the chain every 400km, but you'll know when you've done too much.

Other regular maintenance you'll need to remember - tyre pressures. Depending how mechanically minded you are will determine how much other work you can do yourself.

So come along to some ride days and keep having fun Wink
Back to top Go down
Snake64

Snake64

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2011-02-18
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 09:02

Welcome Daniel,

I am with Charlie on the lube... gel is best, there are a few different brands, I clean and re lube the chain every 1000k's, sometimes a quick spray in between if I ride in a real heavy rain, anything apart from that mine goes back to the dealer to do.

I don't think there would a a centre stand for a 125 but you may be able to get bobbins and a race stand to lift the rear wheel to make it easier to lube the chain instead of a couple of inches at a time as you mentioned.

Talk to the dealer you bought it from or try Westerns Motorcycles at Penrith re bobbins and race stand.
Back to top Go down
RossT

RossT

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-08-29
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 09:10

Daniel,

One tip re chain lube is to lube it when it is hot, in other words when you get back from a ride. This will allow better penetration into the links and therefore longer chain life.

Also cut out a rectangular section of cardboard and hold it behind the chain to protect your rim and tyre from overspray. It will save you a lot of cleaning later.

I got tired of rolling my R1 along the drive to turn the wheel / chain so I bought a second hand rear stand which make life a lot easier.

See you on a ride sometime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gulfwestern.com.au
gixer04

gixer04

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2011-01-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 21:06

welcome Daniel
good story, once you are bitten by the bike bug there is no cure for it,
hope to meet on a ride soon
take care, cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
gs250rr

gs250rr

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2013-02-16
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09 2013, 10:48

Welcome to the NSWR forum Daniel!

For someone on L's (like myself), you will find plenty of information and support in this network.

My personal motto for riding is - I will stop riding when I want and NOT because of an injury that could have been avoided with proper gear - because shit happens but there are things we can do to avoid them - in summary - All the gear all the time! (ATGATT)

I am up for the Putty Road Ride - hope to see you there, if are able to make it.

Have fun and Ride Safe!
Gaurav
Back to top Go down
http://www.datainteract.com
b1b2

b1b2

Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2008-08-05
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 12:23

Nice color on the Mugen cheers

Its worthy to buy a race-stand; even when u upgrade your bike you can still use it (as long as u not upgrading to a cruiser/ adventure).
Makes chain lubing, waxing/cleaning rims, or even washing a breeze. Dont forget the spools to go with he stands.
THere are few reasonably priced ones from www.kaneg.com.au in Central Coast.

I lube the chain every 5-600kms or after riding in heavy rain. Check the tension too.

All in all, welcome to NSWR and feel free to ask any Qs

Back to top Go down
http://www.google.it
stew066

stew066

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2009-03-02
Male

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12 2013, 20:11

welcome Daniel nice looking ride there. Hope to see you on a ride sometime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member and New rider   New member and New rider Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member and New rider
Page 1 of 1